Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

What a great day! I got to spend the day with my family- both my side and Jacob's side.

My grandmother has always been a special person to me. She's always been a great friend and I've been honored to call her my grandmother. She recently has moved into a nursing home and it has truly broken my heart to see her there. Today we all got to spend a few hours together. I am reminded yet again of the great example she is to me.

She has worked harder than anyone I know. Life dealt her some tough blows, but she isn't a complainer. She did what she had to do to live a happy, righteous life. She is an amazing seamstress, a great cook, and a tough, tough lady. She is a 2 time cancer survivor, a cerebral hemorrhage survivor (who actually survives that??) and was a widow at a young age.

When I was younger I used to love to go spend the night at her house. She would pop me popcorn and we'd watch TV together on her little black and white TV. Then the next day we'd go for long walks together. When I was older and in college, we'd go on lunch dates to KFC about once a month. These days she's not so strong, not so stable. I try to visit her when I can. When I leave her room I feel sadder than the time before. She just isn't the way I remember her.

But today I am thankful for her example and her legacy.
When I think of hard work, I think of her.
When I think of kindness, I think of her.
When I think of integrity, I think of her.

Thank you Grammie! I am thankful for you!


1 comment:

Sandra Dubreuil said...

Hey Happy Thanksgiving!! You're Grandma looks like she is just the best! Glad you had a great day!